Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations

  1. Thailand Immigration overstay rules

Overstaying your visa is illegal.  If you overstay for a short period you will have to pay a fine.  However,  if you overstay for more than 90 days then it is a serious offence and the result will be you are deported from Thailand and banned from visiting again.  The length of the ban depends on how long you have overstayed your visa.

If you are caught overstaying by an Immigration officer, then it can result in being taken to jail if you are not able to pay the fine or have a long overstay.

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

If you have a very long overstay and turn yourself in to the authorities you will have to go before a judge in court. The overstay fine is usually waived and in it’s place a smaller fine imposed.   You will then be held in the IDC ( Immigration Detention Center ) until you can arrange for a ticket on a direct flight back to your own country.  You will then have to pay a small fee to the immigration officers to take you to the airport and accompany you through Immigration, where you will get the blacklist stamp in your passport, and to the gate.  Your passport will be given to a steward on the flight and they will return it to you when you land in your home country.

How much is the fine for overstaying?

The fine depends on the number of days you have overstayed. The minimum charge is 500 Baht per day.  This goes to a maximum of 20,000 Baht for overstays of 40 days or longer.

The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.

What is overstaying?

Overstaying is when someone resides in Thailand for a period exceeding the length of time they are permitted to do so by their visa or entry stamp.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not overstay.

However, the Thai Immigration officials realise that sometimes people make mistakes and book a flight a day too late or their plans change, a flight is cancelled and they have to leave a day late.  In cases such as these, with a few hours overstay, the 500 Baht overstay fine is usually waived.

If you are in a situation like this, don’t panic.  Just explain to the immigration officer when you are being stamped out of the county.  Apologise and you will be treated fairly.

If you have a longer overstay, for example, 1 week, then you will be required to pay this ( 7 days x 500 Baht = 3,500 Baht )  before you can leave the country.  It is easiest to pay when you fly out.  Again, explain the reason to the immigration office at the airport, then you will be taken to a nearby counter when you can pay the overstay fine.  Please ensure that you have enough funds to cover this. If not, then you may be taken to the holding cells until you can raise funds.

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country. Being exempt from the fine does not make them exempt from needing a valid visa entry or extension to stay in the country.

Consequences of overstaying your Thai visa

Please note that repeated violations of overstaying can hold serious consequences. In the event that you have had a few overstays, your passport could be stamped with a stamp declaring you in violation of the immigration laws and regulations of Thailand.

This stamp will label you as an “undesirable alien”, which could make travel and obtaining entry to other countries much harder than it should be.

Where is the Immigration Detention Centre?

The IDC is located in central Bangkok at the Immigration Office on Soi Suanplu, Bangkok.  This is where anyone who has been arrested for overstaying will be held prior to attending court and then whilst waiting for their flight back home to be arranged.

You can call on: 02 213 2369 but it is better to go in person.  Go to Building 5 at the IDC.  You will need the overstayer’s details: Name, nationality, age, arrest date and location.



1,867 thoughts on “Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations”

  1. I overstayed in 2019 and surrendered to the immigration authorities in Chiang Mai. Paid the 20,000 baht fine and was banned for one year, starting on January 6, 2020. This was my first overstay but I wasn’t arrested.

    Would I have trouble returning to Thailand this year for a short holiday? I have a return ticket, hotel reservations and sufficient funds.

    1. You shouldn’t have any problems. But bear in mind that entry into the country is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty. So you will probably be asked to prove that you are a genuine tourist – proof of funds, return ticket and hotel booking.

  2. Hi sir I’m Indian be for i stya in Thailand over stays immigration banned 10 years 2016 I m come back in India now 7 years I saty in India who can I come back thailand

  3. Dear immigration officer!
    Good morning, I am from the Philippines. I’ve been here in Thailand for many years now. The business went down and forced me to leave the office and moved to a house outskirt of Bangkok. One early morning in late 2016, I woke up, and the gate and the door were widely opened. Lots of things were lost with my bag containing my passport. A few months later I became overstayed until now.
    My question is can I buy any airline ticket to go home? I prefer Thai Airways for personal reasons. Please reply because I am now ready to fly to see my family as soon as possible.
    Thank you kha!

    1. You can’t travel internationally legally without a passport.

      You will need to get a new passport ( contact your embassy for details about how to do this) and then buy a plane ticket home. And pay the 20,000 Baht overstay fine at the airport.

      1. Thank you for your prompt reply! Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already got a new passport from my embassy after I had a police report the same week. It expired recently since it’s a 5-year valid passport only. I now have a new empty passport again a validity of 10 years this time.
        Is it okay for me to buy any airline ticket going to Manila anytime this week.
        I’m nervous about this.
        Please help

  4. Hallo Admin, sy sdh perpanjang visa satu bulan k dpn d Thailand, apakah bisa perpanjang visa setiap bulannya utk WNI? Karna utk tourist Eropa mrka harus keluar dlu dari Thailand, apakah klo WNI bsa langsung perpanjang setiap bln nya? Terimakasih

  5. Hello sir
    I just want to elaborate a little more on a posting i just made several minutes ago. My visa has not expired YET, and I want to go home to Canada. I am now completely penniless and semi homeless, I have been trying to raise funds for my ticket home without any response from anyone I know.
    I dont want to go into overstay and I am contemplating surrendering myself. What will immigration do? Will I be held indefinitely as I am not able to raise funds?

    obviously, this is a nightmarish thought to sit in a jail indefinitely due to being penniless..

    Please advise sir

    Thanks in advance

    1. You won’t be departed at the Thai governments expense. So either you, a friend, family or Canadian government would have to pay the costs associated with getting you home. Until then you’d stay at the immigration centre in Bangkok.

      The first thing to do is go to your embassy in Bangkok and speak in person (not on the phone) to them, explain the situation and see what advice / help they can offer. Some embassies can provide loans to help get their citizens home.

    1. Not unless you also change your name, date of birth and biometric details such as face and fingerprints which are all on record.

  6. Sir
    I overstayed 4.6 years and I return back to my home country Saturday from donmueangairport. Where can I pay my fine in airport. Is any separate counter for paying fine,please help me to know.
    Advance Thanks for your reply

    1. Check in as normal and when you get to immigration tell the officer you have an overstay and they will take you to the overstay counter where you can be processed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.