Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations

  1. Thailand Immigration overstay rules

Overstaying your visa is illegal.  If you overstay for a short period you will have to pay a fine.  However,  if you overstay for more than 90 days then it is a serious offence and the result will be you are deported from Thailand and banned from visiting again.  The length of the ban depends on how long you have overstayed your visa.

If you are caught overstaying by an Immigration officer, then it can result in being taken to jail if you are not able to pay the fine or have a long overstay.

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

If you have a very long overstay and turn yourself in to the authorities you will have to go before a judge in court. The overstay fine is usually waived and in it’s place a smaller fine imposed.   You will then be held in the IDC ( Immigration Detention Center ) until you can arrange for a ticket on a direct flight back to your own country.  You will then have to pay a small fee to the immigration officers to take you to the airport and accompany you through Immigration, where you will get the blacklist stamp in your passport, and to the gate.  Your passport will be given to a steward on the flight and they will return it to you when you land in your home country.

How much is the fine for overstaying?

The fine depends on the number of days you have overstayed. The minimum charge is 500 Baht per day.  This goes to a maximum of 20,000 Baht for overstays of 40 days or longer.

The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.

What is overstaying?

Overstaying is when someone resides in Thailand for a period exceeding the length of time they are permitted to do so by their visa or entry stamp.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not overstay.

However, the Thai Immigration officials realise that sometimes people make mistakes and book a flight a day too late or their plans change, a flight is cancelled and they have to leave a day late.  In cases such as these, with a few hours overstay, the 500 Baht overstay fine is usually waived.

If you are in a situation like this, don’t panic.  Just explain to the immigration officer when you are being stamped out of the county.  Apologise and you will be treated fairly.

If you have a longer overstay, for example, 1 week, then you will be required to pay this ( 7 days x 500 Baht = 3,500 Baht )  before you can leave the country.  It is easiest to pay when you fly out.  Again, explain the reason to the immigration office at the airport, then you will be taken to a nearby counter when you can pay the overstay fine.  Please ensure that you have enough funds to cover this. If not, then you may be taken to the holding cells until you can raise funds.

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country. Being exempt from the fine does not make them exempt from needing a valid visa entry or extension to stay in the country.

Consequences of overstaying your Thai visa

Please note that repeated violations of overstaying can hold serious consequences. In the event that you have had a few overstays, your passport could be stamped with a stamp declaring you in violation of the immigration laws and regulations of Thailand.

This stamp will label you as an “undesirable alien”, which could make travel and obtaining entry to other countries much harder than it should be.

Where is the Immigration Detention Centre?

The IDC is located in central Bangkok at the Immigration Office on Soi Suanplu, Bangkok.  This is where anyone who has been arrested for overstaying will be held prior to attending court and then whilst waiting for their flight back home to be arranged.

You can call on: 02 213 2369 but it is better to go in person.  Go to Building 5 at the IDC.  You will need the overstayer’s details: Name, nationality, age, arrest date and location.



2,005 thoughts on “Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations”

  1. My 90 day Tourist Visa expired September 2022. When I tried to cross to Laos to come back for visa renewal – I was arrested for a domestic violence incident that occurred 30 days prior. My visa was not renewed – I was not allowed to leave Thailand as the court is holding my passport until my court hearing in May. What will happen if someone reports my Visa overstay ? Will I be held in detention until my court hearing in May ?
    What will happen if someone reports me for overstaying my visa in the interim ?

    1. Your passport is already in the possession of the court. So the overstay is the least of your problems at the moment. It doesn’t matter if you get reported for overstay as that is already on record. It will be dealt with after your court case is over. Your lawyer will be able to explain to you.

  2. Dear sir
    I’ve overstayed for 2 months due to my passport will expire and I’m waiting for the New Passport will receive very soon. I have contacted an agent who told me that they can help me to extend my visa but I need to pay an overstay fee of 20kg. Is it possible that can extend my Non-EDD visa? Can you give me some advice sir?

    1. If you are using a reputable agent then you shouldn’t have any problems. It is up to you to decide if you can trust them or not.

  3. Hey man! I have an overstay of about 4 days now. I just missed going to the Immigration Office to extend my visa for another month after getting 1,5 months last time. Can I now just go to an Immigration Office, pay the fine and extend my visa without getting an stamp in my passport? And how high would the fine be?

    1. You should go to the immigration office where you live. Depending on their policies you might be able to pay the 500 Baht /day fine and extend it.

  4. I would like to know that if we have a over stay like 40 days,is it ok to pay the penalty to the nearest immigration office and take a temporary visa to exit Thailand or must we go to the airport and pay the fine at the airport immigration.Currently we are in mae sot.What will be the best?

  5. hello

    My friends passport overstayed by 26days , they had lost their bag and received it recently…

    They have the funds to pay for the fine but do not want to leave the country yet… Can they go to the immigration to pay the fine and get an extension of atleast a week or two to prepare flight money?

  6. My friend was arrested from Koh Samui for over 90 day overstay. He is a US citizen. What would be the deportation process for him from Koh Samui in terms of fines? Thank You.

    1. It is best to contact Samui immigration. But he’ll have to go before a judge who will set the amount of fine. Then arrange for a ticket back home. And they’ll probably be a fee for escorting him to Bangkok so he can fly home.

          1. hello how are you admin i have a 1 year overstay , i was wondering that if i will be allowed to pay the fine and leave the country without being taken to court or detained .
            will they ban me for that one year overstay ,and will the ban that affect my visit to canada if i change my passport

          2. Yes, you can pay the fine and receive the ban at Immigration when you exit Thailand.

            You’ll have to contact Canadian officials for information on their immigration / entry policies.

  7. hello admin, it’s me Wilson again.
    I just want to know.
    if my ban for entering Thailand get over, can I be allowed to enter the country again if I get a Non B Vasa or if I get an offer for the employment???

    1. You can try. But the overstay will be on your record. So there’s no guarantee you’ll be allowed back into Thailand. You’ll need to prove to the immigration officer that you have a genuine job offer and means to support yourself during your stay etc

  8. Hello!
    I was banned from entering the country until February 6, 2023 (the reason for a long stay in the country), the ban was for 5 years. The passport has a stamp and a ban for 5 years. Can I enter the country after February 6th? The Immigration service does not respond to calls and letters. If the ban period is over, can I still be blacklisted?

    1. Entry into the country is always at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty. It is not guaranteed. You can try to enter but would have to convince the officer that you were a genuine tourist and weren’t planning to overstay again. So you’d probably be asked to show proof of funds to support yourself, confirmed & paid hotel booking & return flight.

  9. Overstay since 15 days, was in ED visa 1 year.

    If I pay the fine do visa run to Laos, am I able to coming back to Thailand directly ?

    Also, the best are Laos or Cambodia for the visa run ?

    Visa run by flight or car ?

    1. It is better to ask a visa agent to handle things for you. Laos is an an easier country to get new visas than Cambodia.

  10. Hello Sir/Madam,

    I’m Wilson, I left Thailand on 13th April 2022 to Uganda after overstaying my visa nearly 3 years since I entered Thailand on 22nd April 2019 and got a ban of 3 years, now I live and work from UAE.

    I’m requesting for forgiveness to enter Thailand again before the 3 years and I’m willing to obay all conditions I will be given.
    please help me to know how I can go about it, thanks

    I will be glad to hear from you.
    Kind regards.

    1. If you feel the ban wasn’t appropriate or just you can contact a lawyer who specializes in immigration issues and ask them to file an appeal. But apart form that you will have to wait until the 3 year ban is over and then try to enter again. Although there is no guarantee that you will be able to. You would have to satisfy the immigration officers on duty when you arrive in Thailand that you are a genuine tourist and not planning to work or stay here illegally again.

  11. Hello Sir, four years ago I overstayed for 90 days and got banned from entering Thailand for a Year but I payed the 20k bath fine in Suvarnabumi. So is it possible to get a tourist visa for Thailand if I plan to come back for a vacation? Thank you.

    1. If your ban has expired then you should be able to enter Thailand again. However it is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty. So you might be asked to show proof you are a real tourist. For example hotel booking, proof of funds to support yourself in Thailand, return plane ticket.

    2. Hi . I have a return ticket for March 12, 2023. I rented a condo and I’m not ready to leave on my return ticket date. How will they know I haven’t left Thailand , or what would happen if I stay till April?.

      1. If your visa is still valid then that isn’t a problem. If your visa has expired then the system will show you are overstaying.

  12. Hi,
    My flight is early in the morning after the date when my visa ends next month. So I’ll have a laughable overstay, like 6 hours. Will Thai emigration forgive it or not?
    Don’t want to get the overstay stamp in my brand new passport, but going for the border run because of several hours is ridiculous as well.

    1. It would be unusual for the Immigration officer to put an overstay stamp in your passport.

      The first 24 hours of an overstay are commonly forgiven – as it’s quite common for flights to change or people miscalulate the length of stay by a day when booking flights.

      1. We have a situation where our flight departs BKK for London at 2am the morning after the day our visa expires. If we clear immigration before midnight will this be accepted as leaving the country?

        1. Don’t worry about it. If you clear Immigration before midnight then it is accepted as leaving the country. But if it is a bit later then officers almost always forgive the first 24 hours of any overstay as people often have flight times change or miscalculate the departure date by a day.

  13. hello im the same case with you, i want to ask how if i want to do transit from thailand to singapore first, then to my country?. do u think it will be safe for me to book a flight to singapore first?

  14. Hello everyone!
    i just want to share my experience a few days ago exiting Thailand as an overstayer. I overstayed my visa for 3 yrs and didn’t have enough money for the 20k baht fine + one-way flight ticket back to my country so it took me quite long time to have both ready on hand. So what i did when both have it and ready to fly home is since I’m staying in Chiang mai, i booked a flight going to Don mueang airport and then another flight from Don mueang heading back to Manila Philippines. Both flights was booked with Air Asia airline. In Don Mueang airport, after I check-in my flight and received my boarding pass, I hurriedly went straight to immigration lane and good thing it wasn’t busy so I went straight to the officer’s booth and told her straight “Hello officer I am overstay”. The officer then proceed to check my passport so I handed her both my old passport where my expired visa stamp is and new passport which is totally new and all clean pages. The officer checked my 2 passport and asked me straight if I have the payment for the fine and I answered Yes. She then handed my PP to another officer to process my overstay in the office. At the office, there’s 3 immigration officers there which look young like still in their 30s and I was lucky that they’re nice and not strict upon seeing my long overstay. They processed all paperworks and i did all the signing, paid my 20k fine and received my ban stamp and they let me go to take my flight home. My advice is if you’re an overstay, do your best not to get caught/ arrested before your flight going back home, surrender immediately at the immigration pass once you obtained your boarding pass, be very respectful of the officers and answer politely. I learned my lesson and will never do this mistake of overstaying in Thailand ever again. Also many thanks to this website bcoz it helped me a lot of the things i must do to exit Thailand as an overstayer.

      1. Hello, so lucky to have found this page. Same case, may I confirm, beside Survanabhumi airport, Don Muang airport can pay the overstay fine too? Thanks in advance for the reply.

        1. Yes, the process is the same at Don Meaung. You can pay the overstay fine at Immigration after you check in for your flight.

      1. You don’t pass through Immigration on domestic flights. So your passport won’t be checked. Other than by the airline when you check in – but that is for proof of identity only.

      2. nope i didn’t have any problem flying from chiang mai airport going to bangkok don mueang airport. My passport was only checked for identification by airport & airline staff so visa stamps wasn’t asked or checked.

  15. Hey sir my name is Frank, I’m from Uganda I have overstay now it’s like 70 days but I like to pay the fine what can I do I’m here near Mae sot

    1. You can pay the fine – 20,000 Baht – at Suvarnabhumi Airport when you leave the country. Or contact a reputable visa agent and ask them if they can assist you in paying in Chiang Mai or Mae Sot.

  16. Hello, sir.
    I am from India. My visa already expired. I have overstayed here for 40 days. Now I am in Mae Sot. I can pay the fine at Bangkok airport. But my problem is when I go to Bangkok, there is a checkpoint in Mae Sot. How can I go without checking? Please give me a solution to go to Bangkok without arrest. Is there any other way to go to Bangkok with no checkpoint from Mae Sot? Please help me

      1. I have overstay for more than 3 years. I’m holding new zealand passport.

        What should I do, go to the airport immigration to pay the fine, do I have to go to jail? Should I book my air ticket before I go to the airport immigration.

        Please advise what I should do.

        1. Buy your plane ticket home, make sure you have 20,000 Baht for the overstay fine. Then check in for your flight & go through security as normal.

          When you get to Immigration desk tell the officer that you have an overstay. They will take you to a counter nearby where you can do the paperwork for the ban from re-entering Thailand and pay the fine.

      1. i will court fine for 2000 thai bath. i am already 16day stay in idc jaill also.when i go to my home country. please tell me.sir….

        1. I don’t know when you will go to your own country. That will depend when you can get a plane ticket. You will have to speak to the staff at IDC and ask them or contact your Embassy and ask them for assistance in getting information.

  17. HI … My retirement visa is soon to run out ,,,, but no have the funds to carry on !!… can i extend it for any length of time … or better to loan the FUNDS and renew ?? TKS .. RICHARD ..

    1. The best option for you will be to contact a visa agent that helps people in situations such as yours. Do a Google search for agents in your area and ask them how much they charge to help obtain the extension for you.

  18. Hello sir good morning. i am sarathkumar (indian) i had been locked on a Myanmar border scamming company right now i probebly escaped from the company and i reached Thailand i have my friends there they all from india while escape i bring their passport also here now i dont know what i have to do where i have to give an complaint as i dont know please help me give me your whattsapp number i wil cal and explain you i have to resecue my friends please help us .

      1. hello are you?before i will go india Embessy and he give visa extension letter after i will come airport.airports immigration police arrest and go to court and overstay fine i will pay sir.then i will go to my home sir

          1. You will have to get your friends or family to send money to pay the fine and pay for your ticket home. Your embassy in Bangkok should be able to assist you .

          1. There is also no guarantee you would be allowed back in as entry is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty. You would have to satisfy them that you are a genuine tourist and not planning to work or stay here illegally again.

      2. Hello sir good morning. i am Lakshminarayana (indian) i had been locked on a Myanmar border scamming company by crypto right now iam in Myanmaar and my Visa got expired, I don’t know how to overcome this issue in a smooth manner , i want to goback to my Country India ,pls kindly help me as soon as possible

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *