Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations

  1. Thailand Immigration overstay rules

Overstaying your visa is illegal.  If you overstay for a short period you will have to pay a fine.  However,  if you overstay for more than 90 days then it is a serious offence and the result will be you are deported from Thailand and banned from visiting again.  The length of the ban depends on how long you have overstayed your visa.

If you are caught overstaying by an Immigration officer, then it can result in being taken to jail if you are not able to pay the fine or have a long overstay.

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

If you have a very long overstay and turn yourself in to the authorities you will have to go before a judge in court. The overstay fine is usually waived and in it’s place a smaller fine imposed.   You will then be held in the IDC ( Immigration Detention Center ) until you can arrange for a ticket on a direct flight back to your own country.  You will then have to pay a small fee to the immigration officers to take you to the airport and accompany you through Immigration, where you will get the blacklist stamp in your passport, and to the gate.  Your passport will be given to a steward on the flight and they will return it to you when you land in your home country.

How much is the fine for overstaying?

The fine depends on the number of days you have overstayed. The minimum charge is 500 Baht per day.  This goes to a maximum of 20,000 Baht for overstays of 40 days or longer.

The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.

What is overstaying?

Overstaying is when someone resides in Thailand for a period exceeding the length of time they are permitted to do so by their visa or entry stamp.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not overstay.

However, the Thai Immigration officials realise that sometimes people make mistakes and book a flight a day too late or their plans change, a flight is cancelled and they have to leave a day late.  In cases such as these, with a few hours overstay, the 500 Baht overstay fine is usually waived.

If you are in a situation like this, don’t panic.  Just explain to the immigration officer when you are being stamped out of the county.  Apologise and you will be treated fairly.

If you have a longer overstay, for example, 1 week, then you will be required to pay this ( 7 days x 500 Baht = 3,500 Baht )  before you can leave the country.  It is easiest to pay when you fly out.  Again, explain the reason to the immigration office at the airport, then you will be taken to a nearby counter when you can pay the overstay fine.  Please ensure that you have enough funds to cover this. If not, then you may be taken to the holding cells until you can raise funds.

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country. Being exempt from the fine does not make them exempt from needing a valid visa entry or extension to stay in the country.

Consequences of overstaying your Thai visa

Please note that repeated violations of overstaying can hold serious consequences. In the event that you have had a few overstays, your passport could be stamped with a stamp declaring you in violation of the immigration laws and regulations of Thailand.

This stamp will label you as an “undesirable alien”, which could make travel and obtaining entry to other countries much harder than it should be.

Where is the Immigration Detention Centre?

The IDC is located in central Bangkok at the Immigration Office on Soi Suanplu, Bangkok.  This is where anyone who has been arrested for overstaying will be held prior to attending court and then whilst waiting for their flight back home to be arranged.

You can call on: 02 213 2369 but it is better to go in person.  Go to Building 5 at the IDC.  You will need the overstayer’s details: Name, nationality, age, arrest date and location.



1,713 thoughts on “Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations”

  1. my mate was over stay 98 days he as paid is 20 000 and now is gone to laos for anew thai visa he as give is passport in with form there will he get a ban they have not told him he is ban are will they

    1. I only know what the law states and that is if the overstay is 90 days or more then there is an automatic 1 year ban.

  2. One of my relative was arrested for a day and got bail. His Visa and work permit was cancelled by court which was not informed to him neither by police nor by his lawyer and was detained by immigration police after 3 days of bail. It is now 12 days in detention center. How to get him released.please advise as overstay was unknowingly.

    1. If he had a valid visa and work permit, he wouldn’t have been on overstay. You should contact the immigration office that is dealing with his case. He will have to go to court and pay a fine, this will usually be less than the overstay fine. Then he will have to get someone to arrange a ticket back to his own country for him. When this is done there will be a small payment to Immigration staff to take him to the airport and he can take his flight back to his home country.

      1. Sir thanks for the reply.
        He own business here and working here since last 22 years and had never violated any law here . He want to get things cleared and don’t want to get blacklisted. Can he enter again to Thailand. Kindly let us know what to do for same. Your suggestion will help us a lot.

        1. If he didn’t have a valid visa then he broke the law. You should speak to the immigration office responsible for his case. I don’t have all the details, so cannot provide advice.

  3. Hello I have overstayed my visa 11months now I need to go back to my country I have lost my passport but applied for ec then embassy told to go immigration and get clearance from them to issue ec. I have not went to immigration and by one good guy found my passport where it was missed and returned to me. Now I have passport but overstayed 11months what should I do now.

    1. Buy a ticket back to your home country and go to the airport. Pay the 20,000 Baht overstay fine when you are at Immigration at the airport. Then fly home.

      1. Thank you sir for your reply will thete be seperate counters inside or i have to proceed like normal other people

        1. Just join the normal queue. When you get to the counter tell the immigration officer that you have a long overstay when you hand him your passport. You will then be taken to a counter nearby where another officer will check your status and issue the fine.

          1. Hello I am overstayed 10 months arrested by immigration police and took me to police station from there police took me to court and paid fine 2500baht and left me free to go but I want to go home I am ready to pay 20000baht and get flight ticket what should I do please reply thank you

          2. Thank you for your info I have reached my country & blacklisted for one year. I need to travel laos but don’t have direct flight. I have to transit in bangkok can I travel to laos via bangkok is it is possible for me to travel like that.

          3. You cannot do that. Because you will have to go through immigration in Bangkok.

  4. hi ,

    I have one friend in thailand and she has no visa and she’s overstaying from last 4 years. how she can go back to country ? what is the procedure?

    1. She should buy a ticket back to her own country and then pay the 20,000 Baht overstay fine at the airport when she leaves. She will be blacklisted.

  5. Hi My Work permit was canceled from 1 march 2018 and I have Valid visa on my passport until 6 August 2018, What I want to know is am I overstay at the moment or no?

    1. The validity of your visa is tied to your Work Permit. When your WP is cancelled you have 7 days to leave the country and get a new visa.

      So now don’t have a valid visa and you are overstaying.

      1. if I travel next week which is 85 days overstay will be there any problems in taking new Visa from abroad? and now I found new job and I will take the needed documents with me.

        will the immigration of the airport say that I was overstayed on the Stamp?

        1. I don’t know if you will have any problems applying for a new visa. You will have to speak to the Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply for the visa. They will make the decision about whether to grant you a visa or not.

          You will get an overstay stamp in your passport.

  6. I’m going to overstay 1day in Thailand because i want to go back my place @ cheap flights so is there any serious problem if i stay 1extra day after my tourist visa expired ? Actually I come for 8dys but after I visit Thailand I like this place most so I’m staying here for 2months till my visa expired and now 1more day 🙁
    Please reply ASAP

    1. One day overstay isn’t a problem. Often immigration officers will be lenient and won’t ask for an overstay fine for just 1 day. The worst case scenario is that you have to pay 500 Baht overstay fine when you leave. But don’t worry about it.

  7. Sir my frieand banned 10 year now one year him come or not Thailand him have babe so please please reply

  8. Hi I recently lost my passport during Songkran and got an EC from my Embassy. However thanks to mis information given by them i have an overstay of 16 days. I do not mind paying the fine. I just want to know once i make a new passport and make a return to Bangkok within a few days will it be ok. Its my first ever time overstaying and not really my fault as if i would have been given the right info from my Malaysian Embassy i would have had this overstay in the first place. Please kindly advice.

    1. If it is your first overstay then you shouldn’t have any problems re-entering Thailand in the future. Always double check stamps from any Embassy or Immigration office as mistakes are occasionally made. If you notice them immediately they can be corrected.

  9. Hi!
    My non-immigrant ED visa will expire tomorrow and I could not have the necessary documents before Friday, May 11th and the immigration is closed today. Can I extend my visa or do I have to do other things? Like go to Cambodia to ask a new visa.
    Thank you in advance

    1. If you don’t have the correct documents to extend your visa you will need to leave the country and apply for a new ED visa. So you will need to obtain the necessary documents to do this.

  10. hi. my nob visa expired 30days already because of lack of company requirements and need to go out and pay. can we get another non b visa again to penang or laos?

    1. You should be able to get a new visa if you have the required documentation from your company. Note that visas aren’t guaranteed they are issued at the discretion of the officers at the Embassy or Consulate.

  11. Hii
    My bf is overstay 16 mounth
    Now me born baby before 2 days have him name on birthcertificate
    Now what we can do besause if him go hi baneed can not come after who take carr baby
    Pls guide me

    1. He is staying illegally in Thailand. So if he is caught by police he will be banned for longer than if he surrenders when he leaves the country. If you want to stay together then you will have to move to his country.

        1. He has to pay the fine when he leaves the country. An overstay more than 1 Year = 3 year ban from Thailand.

  12. Hello I been in Thailand for a little over a year on a entry stemp and on overstated now I have a non refundable plane ticket for home but no money for fine of 20,000 bht what what will happen scared

    1. You have to pay the overstay fine before you can leave the country. If you cannot you will be taken to the detention centre where you can stay until you can raise funds. You will also miss your flight and so will need to pay for a new ticket. Therefore, I suggest that you sell possessions or contact friends and family and try to raise the money to pay the overstay fine.

        1. OK one other ? Is I had to get a new passport because other one was missing pages along with the page having the entry stamp on it but no stamps in new passport book im not flying any more I’m dieing of cancer any ways but going to air port soon thanks

          1. If your passport is damaged and pages are missing then you will have to get a new one. As you can’t travel on a damaged passport. You will need to take your old passport with you when you leave the country along with the new one. You may have to wait a while for immigration to check when you entered if your entry stamp is missing from the old passport.

  13. My immigration stamp is for the 2nd of June 2018 but my flight is on the 3rd. Do I have to extend my visa or will a 24 hour overstay be ok ?

    1. You won’t have any problems. There is a 500 Baht fine for each day of overstay. But for one day, the immigration officer may let you off with a warning not to overstay in the future and no fine.

  14. Hello,
    I know someone who is overstaying in Thailand for almost 5 months.
    No money, no job, scared, with a poor family who can’t raise the money for the airplane ticket and the 20,000THB fine.
    I want to know what are the steps to leave Thailand in this case.
    Need help!

  15. Hello, my first time non B immigrant visa of 90 days expires on 7 May 2018. I couldn’t apply for extension of visa as the various paper required of the company should be updated till last month. The papers preparation from revenue dept will take atleast 3 days (till 10 may).Is there any other way that my visa doesn’t fail? Please help

    1. Please contact the immigration office that are dealing with your extension. They will advise you what to do. Or ask someone from your employer to contact them to explain the situation.

  16. I was deported from Thailand I did not have enough money
    Can I go again or have been banned for a few years

    1. If you have been deported, you will be on a blacklist. You will have been notified how long the blacklist was for when you were deported.

  17. Hello,

    Can I do a border crossing and exit Thailand as non_b visa expired. And re-enter Thailand on a visa exempt stamp? For just 10 days?

    1. You will have to pay an overstay fine when you leave as your visa has expired. But will be able to re-enter. Although you should make sure you have proof of funds, accommodation and ticket out of the country.

  18. Hi,
    My friend’s visa will expire Sunday, 06/05/2018, but immigration is close. He will be able to extend it on Monday 07/05/2018. Will he be charged for overstay? If so, for how many days?


    1. That is Ok. If the Immigration office is closed on the the visa day it expires then he can extend it the following day.

  19. Hello. My tourist visa will expire on the 11th of May and I will be available to go an immigration embassy on the 12th of May to extend for another 30 days. Am I eligible to extend for another 30 days despite being a day late and having to pay a 1 day 500 baht fine ? I appreciate any response. Thanks

    1. You can go to an immigration office tomorrow or any time before 11 May and extend your visa. You cannot extend it after it expires.

  20. My departure stamp is 3rd of may and my flight is 4th of may.
    I didn’t realise i was a day over my visa stamp when i booked my flight.
    Whats rhe best way to resolve this issue.

    1. When you are at the airport you can pay the 500 Baht overstay fine. Or the immigration officer might be lenient and forgive the one day overstay. That often happens. It isn’t a serious problem.

  21. Hii
    I m from india
    I visited thailand 24 march 2018 to 4 april 2018 on visa on arrival .
    I want to visit thailand again in Aug 2018 for one week
    So please tell me can i go and get visa on arrival as usual or i am not allowed to visit thailand by immigration
    Please reply

  22. Hi there, today i was supposed to go to immigration as my tourist visa expires and i was going to extend for anohther 30 days,

    Howver, i woke up with a very stiff back and couldnt move/had to go to thhe hospital to get it fixed. I did not know that the 1st of may is a holiday (monday) and possibly tuesday? (making that 5 days of overstay). I will go to the immigration office on wednesday to pay the fine and apply for an extension… Is it possible to still apply for a 30 day extension in my case?

    1. If your visa has expired then you cannot extend it. You will need to leave the country and either get a new tourist visa or visa on arrival. In future I suggest you plan in advance. You can extend your visa in advance of the expiry date, you don’t have to wait until the last possible day to do it.

    2. I have a same problem. My visa is ending today and was planning to go have visa extension for 30 days, but cause the immigration is closed i cant go before tmrow and then i have 1 day over stay? Do i have to leave the country for 1 day overstay?

      1. If your visa ends on a day when the Immigration office is closed it is OK to go the following day.

  23. Hi, I got work visa here and I brought my wife and son here to stay with me. Their 3 months visa got expired before we could arrange the necessary documents for extension as my company is not providing complete support in arranging documents in time. So I have to wait for them 14 more days to apply for extension that is going to cost 14000thb for both. Is there any other way to extend their visa meantime or reduce the overstay charges by travelling to another country like Laos and Cambodia. Please suggest.

    1. Please contact the immigration office that is already dealing with you. They will be able to give information about what you need to do.

  24. I have a non-b single entry visa that expires 16 days before my return ticket. I have a work permit, but the problem is that – as an internship – i do not get paid. What would the best solution for me be?
    Thank you in advance

  25. I am from South Korea and I’m university student in King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi. By mistakenly last year I didn’t apply for re-entry permit and I went back to home and came to Thailand at 7th of January. Recently I found out that I’m overstaying at Thailand without knowing about my ED visa is cancelled. I have no clue what do I need to do right now. Is it possible to extend my visa to stay for another few months? Because my university will over at 31st of May. Or is there other solution?

    1. You should speak to your university and see if they can help. But you are now overstaying and so will have to pay a fine. You cannot extend a visa that has been cancelled.

  26. Hi! I have extended my single entry tourist visa by 30days already. And someone told me i can extend it for 7more days after the 30days… Is that true?

  27. We booked (5pax) the flight on 27 April 2018, but our visa expired on this 25. Can we just pay the fine at the airport, end after that everything will be fine ?
    Our flight is from Krabi Airport, and transit at Changi Airport.

    1. You won’t have any problems. Just pay the overstay fine at the airport. The Immigration officers will show you where to pay.

  28. Hello! I have 18 months visa overstay. I am currently living in Koh Samui. I have to pay 20,000, -THB for overstay. Tickets to the host country have been purchased on April 29, 2018, I will fly from USM to BKK. I do not want the police to arrest me before paying overstay. The question of where to pay overstay or Koh Samui immigration department to be better and safer (and I do not know if at the USM airport I can to make a payment) or pay at BKK airport? How long does it take for this procedure? Thanks in advance! Sincerely, ILWA

    1. You should contact the Immigration department on Koh Samui. This site is for Immigration in Trat province. But if you are on a domestic flight to Bangkok then you won’t go through Immigration in Samui.

  29. I am overstaying in Thailand from September 2017. and I am planning to go back my country. may I book my flight ticket and go to airport and pay the fine. will they let me go after paying the fine. Or will they bring me in prison. Tell me sir thanks

    1. If you have a ticket home and pay the fine at the airport, you will be blacklisted but should not be jailed. However, the decision will be made by Immigration officers at the airport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *